What to do if you are involved in a road traffic accident
Even though a lot of confusion takes place after a collision, there are a few things you should be sure to do if you are involved in a road traffic accident.
These few steps will help ease the road traffic accident claims process, so be sure to do the following if you can;
• Share information with the other party. This includes phone number, names, insurance details, addresses and car registration numbers.
• Take photos of the accident. This is a helpful precaution as it gives vivid details of the collision. In addition, it will help you to keep track of where the accident occurred.
• Write down the model of the other parties car, the colour, year and the amount of damage suffered.
• If there are any witnesses around, take down their information as well.
• Be sure you note down who the owner of the car is in case he/she was not the driver.
• Refrain from discussing the accident. Issues such as who was in the wrong, how to go about reporting it to the insurance companies etc. should be avoided.
• Make sure to report the accident to the police just in case of future disagreements with the other party.
The process of making a road traffic accident claim
Road traffic accident claims should be made after the accident occurs. Seek medical assistance following the accident, ensuring that you get a diagnosis from the doctor as this will be useful when making your claim. This information is helpful because it indicates the details of your injury and the costs which have been incurred.
Here in the UK, it is advisable to seek legal representation to help you through the claim. Since most people usually have car insurance, the claim should not be difficult to complete. Before taking up the legal service option, ensure you understand how much the process may cost.
How to claim compensation
To be able to make an effective claim, proof has to be provided that indicates the accident was due to the other party’s negligence. To go about this, hospital documentation is necessary, which will show a list of injuries suffered as well as costs incurred.
Any days missed from work should also be included as proof of loss of income due to the accident. Road traffic accident claims could otherwise be unsuccessful without such proof. In addition, to determine how much compensation for a car accident claim for example should be awarded, the documentation is vital.
These are the necessary steps to go about making a personal injury compensation claim;
. Get in touch with a lawyer to handle your claim.
. Present your personal information, which includes name, address, phone numbers etc.
. Date and details of the accident should also be presented. Whatever information you collected on the day of the accident or thereafter is also required at this point.
. Any police reports, as well as reports and diagnosis from your doctor, should be submitted.
. Present the other party’s name as well as names of any witnesses.